Documented by Dani Huerta
Summary — What you need to know
- A certificate was presented by Supervisor Eddie Valero recognizing the Alta Healthcare District for its many contributions to Northern Tulare County, including funding the purchase of two ambulances in Dinuba.
- Shuklian was chosen to continue to serve as the representative on the California State Association of Counties Board of Directors for the 2023/2024 association year, with Vander Poel as the alternate.
- A financial assistance application was approved for planning, design and construction of the East Orosi Community Services District Water Supply and Infrastructure Project in the amount of approximately $7.9 million. The project is in the design stage to connect East Orosi with the Orosi water system and a new well.
Follow up Questions
- When is the East Orosi/Orosi project expected to be completed?
- Larry Micari – vice chair, District One
- Pete Vander Poel III, District Two
- Amy Shuklian, District Three
- Eddie Valero, District Four
- Dennis Townsend – chair, District Five
- Jason T. Britt, County Administrative Officer
- Jennifer Flores, County Counsel
- Melinda Benton, chief clerk
The Tulare County Board of Supervisors meeting was held simultaneously in-person and live streamed via YouTube at 6 p.m. on Oct. 17, 2023. The meeting began with the Pledge of Allegiance and an invocation led by Pastor Michelle Magee of Palm United Methodist Church.
- Closed session announcement
- Micari and Shuklian recused themselves from a closed session item due to their receipt of campaign funds from an involved party.
- County counsel announced “For item C, the Board of Supervisors directed legal counsel to refrain from opposing Debtors’ motion to establish a reduced taxable value of the personal property located at Debtors’ former retail store at 3125 South Mooney Blvd., Visalia, California”
- For item E the board authorized legal counsel to initiate litigation. The title and nature of the action were not made public but are made available if asked,
- Board of Supervisors matters
- Earlier this month he attended a Tulare County HIspanic Leadership Network event, Cutler consolidation meeting, Audit Committee meeting, Care Portal active community gathering, Monson-Sultana Elementary School carnival, Ivanhoe trunk-or-treat event, Hands in the Community fundraiser, United Way breakfast awards, Lions Club event, spoke to Dancing With The Stars participants, San Joaquin Valley Water summit, was involved in the selection of the Tulare County Regional Transportation Authority director and a college pledge at Fresno City Hall chamber.
- Upcoming is the Kings Basin Water Authority Board meeting and a workshop for realignment dollars in Sacramento.
- He congratulated Manuel Munoz for receiving the 2023 MacArthur Genius Award.
- Vander Poel
- Upcoming is the unveiling of the Kings-Tulare Area Master Plan for Aging outreach event, Local Area Formation Committee (LAFCo) forum, Dairy Herd Improvement Association of Tulare golf tournament and his 13th wedding anniversary.
- Earlier this month she attended the Nordstrom Rack and Cinnaholic grand opening, Tulare County Historical Society barbeque, United Way event, Visalia Chamber of Commerce Leadership Visalia panel, Visalia centennial celebration,
- Upcoming is a Homeless Task Force meeting, she will be cooking food for the Salt + Light event, a San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District Board meeting, Parks Advisory Committee meeting, Night Under the Stars at Kaweah Oaks Preserve, Tulare County Sheriff’s barn burner event and Mike Fistolera’s celebration of life.
- He asked everyone to pray for a family in Strathmore who lost two children in a fire.
- Earlier this month he attended a meeting regarding a potential program in Strathmore for use in flood control and recharge, Calvary Visalia event, health fair, workforce event, LAFCo meeting, Southern California Edison Multicultural celebration, Miss Exeter coronation dinner, Exeter Fall Festival, Farmersville Tulare County Area Traffic Management meeting, Library Advisory meeting, Exeter Fall Family Night, Tulare County Employees’ Retirement Association and Board of Supervisors joint meeting, Lindsay Foothill Rotary meeting, Hands of the Community dinner, United Way breakfast, Visalia Centennial National Night Out, Happy Trails Roundup, Purple Party, food truck festival, Sierra View Foundation meeting, Kings-Tulare Area Agency on Aging and a Tulare County Association of Governments (TCAG) meeting.
- Earlier this month he attended a Rotary Club meeting, TCAG, Tulare County Teachers’ Association meeting, Sierra View Foundation event,
- Upcoming is a LAFCo meeting and a Porterville Exchange Club Treasure Trove event.
- Present a certificate recognizing Alta Healthcare District for its many contributions to Northern Tulare County.
- Yvette Poello, president of the Alta Healthcare District, said the district came back from bankruptcy five years ago, and has since worked on several projects, including the purchase of two ambulances in Dinuba.Yolanda Voldez, recipient of the Alta Healthcare District grant, thanked the district and Cutler-Orosi. Valero presented the certificate.
- (Approved unanimously) Consent Calendar (Items 4-26)
- Some of the approved items included the approval of the purchase of a type 1 fire engine for the Fire Department (item 10), an agreement with Scott’s Social Services Inc. for the provision of mental health services for adolescent males (item 18) and the trade-in of a 1984 Caterpillar Water Wagon to offset the cost of the purchase of a new 2023 Caterpillar Water Truck (item 26).
- (Approved unanimously) Request from the clerk of the board to appoint a member and alternate member of the Board of Supervisors to serve as representatives on the California State Association of Counties Board of Directors for the 2023/2024 association year.
- County Counsel Jennifer Flores explained the item. Shuklian is currently the board member and Vander Poel is the alternate. The members will remain the same.
- (Approved unanimously) Request from the Resource Management Agency (RMA) to approve a financial assistance application for an agreement with the State Water Resources Control Board for the planning, design and construction of the East Orosi Community Services District Water Supply and Infrastructure Project (the “Project”), in an amount of approximately $7.9 million.
- Ross Miller, RMA chief engineer, explained the item. Tulare County has become administrator of the water system in East Orosi. This appointment can be renewed. There is a project currently in design to connect East Orosi with the Orosi water system and a new well.
- There were no board matter requests
There was no public comment.
Supervisors will meet next on Oct. 24.
If you believe anything in these notes is inaccurate, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Correction Request” in the subject line.